Guy’s Cliffe Estate
Properties and places of interest that were formerly part of the Guy’s Cliffe estate or its surroundings are now under separate ownership. Some may be visited, regularly or occasionally:
80m west of the ruined mansion, Guy’s Well is an artesian spring within a grotto on the banks on the River Avon, built circa 1751-57. It is listed with Historic England. It is located on private property.
Guy’s Well at Guy’s Cliffe, Warwick. 1860s
IMAGE LOCATION: (Warwickshire County Record Office)
Reference: PH, 652/1/41, img: 7082
This image is subject to copyright restrictions.
Please see our copyright statement for further details.
Guy’s Cliffe Walled Garden
The Walled Garden was originally part of the kitchen garden for Guy’s Cliffe from at least the 1770s to the late 1940s. In recent years the garden had become totally overgrown & derelict. Clearance work on the site started in January 2014. Since then volunteers have contributed over 17,500 hours of work to bring the garden back to life.
The garden is open to the general public on event days and volunteer days, or group visits by special arrangement.
To find out more, visit the website: http://guyscliffewalledgarden.org.uk
School of Riding
The well-appointed stable buildings that were formerly part of the Guy’s Cliffe estate are now owned and operated by Warwick International School of Riding.
It is also the home of The Knights of Middle England, a team of professional horsemen, jousters, stunt riders and actors who perform nationally.
“Gibbeclive Mill” was the property of Kenilworth Priory in the 12th Century and remained in the possession of the Augustinian canons until the Dissolution of the monasteries. The mill stands on the banks of the River Avon.
In 1822 the mill was rebuilt with ornate “Gothick timberwork”, probably to present a pleasing view from the mansion. The mill closed in 1938.
In 1952 the mill and granary were converted into a restaurant and bar and now offers a beautiful riverside location for eating and drinking.
In the heart of the woodland on Blacklow Hill, north of Guy’s Cliffe, a monument stands, marking the site of the execution of Piers Gaveston, the favourite and supposed lover of King Edward II, in 1312. The monument was erected in 1832 by Bertie Bertie Greatheed of Guy’s Cliffe.
Unfortunately, there is no official footpath to the site. People wanting to visit should ensure that they do not trespass (you can contact the Leek Wootton History Group for advice at: firstname.lastname@example.org)
St James The Great, Old Milverton
St James the Great has been a place of worship for nearly 900 years. Restoration was carried out in 1878, funded by Lady Charles Bertie of Guy’s Cliffe. Nothing was left of the old fabric except the foundations and lower portion of the tower. There was a service for the re-opening of the church on the 28 August 1880.
The new church of 1880 featured an unusual pyramidical roof of the tower and archading around the upper storey. The walls are of sandstone from a local quarry.
Lord Algernon Malcolm Arthur Percy (1851-1933) in a family section alongside his wife and other Percy family members, as are Vera Brittain (1893-1970) and Dr Henry Jephson (1798-1878)
Royal Leamington Spa
The town of Leamington Spa developed from a small village south of the River Leam called Leamington Priors. Spa waters, known about since Roman times, were rediscovered in 1784 by William Abbotts and Benjamin Satchwell.
A syndicate was formed to provide the necessary funds to develop a new, grand bathing establishment north of the river to surpass the existing baths in Leamington Priors. However, attempts to discover a reliable source of saline water in this vicinity were unsuccessful. Eventually in 1810 a spring was discovered on land owned by Mr Greatheed – a member of the syndicate.
The Royal Pump Rooms were opened in 1814, following which development began on land previously owned by the Earl of Warwick, the Willes and Greatheed family on the north side of the river, resulting in the Georgian new town of Royal Leamington Spa.